Well folks, it was a tough week last week for the Hoyt family. Carter had been running a fever for 6 days, we'd seen our pediatrition twice and finally on the third visit, when Carter couldn't even hold his head up and we couldn't get his fever down with meds, we were sent to the hospital for more tests and an IV (the loudest I've ever heard Carter cry). I held up pretty well while at the doctor's office, but completely lost it in the car on the way to meet Carl at the hospital. After crying the entire way there, I pulled myself together and held it together for the next three days. They ran more tests and after about 36 hours decided that Carter "probably" had a bacterial infection. He was on IV antibiotics every 12 hours and a drip to keep him hydrated. The first day and night were pretty rough, but he really perked up the second day and we left the morning of the third day. Carter slept well for being in a weird place (as long as he was sleeping on one of us and not in the "jail crib") Needless to day, Carl and I got virtually no sleep and were exhaused when we left the hospital. Oh, and did I mention that Carl HAD to work Thursday, Friday and Saturday because he had a boat show. I felt so bad for him. I could, at least, lounge around with Carter at home, but Carl had to be on his feet acting like all was well. Now the reason I'm talking about how bad Carl and I felt is because at this point, Carter was doing great. He was sleeping a ton and eating well, so there was nothing to worry about.
While it was traumatic for all of us, it made me thankful that Carter doesn't have a serious condition that causes extended stays in the hospital, endless IVs and lots of medication. Trust me, he was not the sickest kid on the peds floor and for that, I'm thankful. By the second day, he would point to the door of our room if it were shut so we would open it and he could see out to the nurses station. He likes to know what's going on at all times, plus sometimes he'd catch a glimpse of a child walking by and that would make him smile. He loves big kids!
Thanks to everyone for all the well-wishes. We appreciate our family and friends so much...especially during times like these. We are so lucky to have all of you!
In the first two pictures, Carter is playing one-handed...it didn't seem to bother him much at all.


Here's a close-up of his little hand with the IV. Notice the Madonna-like glove covering all of it!

Here's Carter with his medicine machine.

I think in this picture Carter is asking, "Mommy, does this dress make me look like a girl?"

Here he is with is big teddy bear that my Palmer friends sent. He loved touching it's eyes and nose!

We took Carter around the peds floor in this little wagon that they have for all the kids to use. He thought is was fantastic. It was his first wagon ride ever. I think we'll be getting one for the summer!

Lounging on Grandma Kay's feet eating Cheerios (his new favorite snack!)

"Hey look at me...I've got a graham cracker!"

Okay, here are a few old pictures that I've been forgetting to post. The first one is Carter with his cousin Grace. Don't they look alike in this one?

Carter with all his cousins-Grace, Mallory and Kendall. Do you know how hard it is to get a good picture of 4 kids under the age of 4? I've decided it's not possible.

Leaving Grandma Kay's one cold winter day!

Waiting for their Mommies to pick them up...

4 comments:
Way to tough it out Carter-boy!!!
Hoyt Family...I am so glad to hear that everything is okay with Carter. Katie I can't imagine how you were feeling and seeing Carter like that in the hospital most have been very tough on Carl and you. I hope that Carter is over it all and be back to his normal self with lots of big smiles.
So glad that all is well now. I'm sure that was a scare....but seeing all those other kids on the peds floor probably made you really thankful. Catch up on your sleep (if your bladder will let you!).
I feel the same way about sick children.. It's so scary to think about your own child having something wrong with them I can't imagine having to worry about that. Especially when I see those commercials on TV with the St. Judes hospital, ugh they make me cry EVERYTIME.
Post a Comment