Thursday, July 16, 2009

Carseat Safety...300th Post!

Well hoytbabyblog fans, this is my 300th blog post. Haven't we been through so much in 300 posts!?!? Okay, really, just 2 pregnancies and 3 babies, but that's a TON, right!?!?

I want to make this post count...so I'm stepping up onto my soapbox now. Here are my thoughts on car seat safety and why I will keep the babies rear-facing until they are 2 (at least) and why I will keep all my boys in 5-point harnesses until they are 60 lbs. (at least).

Here are some statistics:

According to a 2008 article in the professional journal Pediatrics (the AAP journal), children under age two are 75% less likely to be killed or suffer severe injuries in a crash if they are riding rear-facing rather than forward facing. In fact, for children 1–2 years of age, facing the rear
is five times safer. Read the whole article here: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/121/3/619

I mean, wow, right!?!? Did you know this? I didn't. Did you know the AAP recommend you keep your child rear-facing until they are two...one year and 20 lbs. is the minimum requirement!

And click on this link: http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/. This is a website created by the family of a 3-year-old boy who was killed in a car crash. Had he been in a 5-point harness, it may have saved his life. (His sister sitting right next to him walked away from the crash.) His family has dedicated their lives, now, to letting others know about the importance of car seat safety...
If you're brave (and have time for a cry) scroll down the homepage and watch the video. Yes, it is sad, but very informative.

Watching this video completely changed how I look at car seats. I wanted to give you all that opportunity, also. I feel like spreading this info is just the right thing to do!

Also, when you do put your child in a forward-facing seat, please be sure to use the anchor/teather thingy on the back of the seat (if your seat and car allow it). This makes things even more safe.

Q & A:
Wouldn't the babies rather face forward? Actually, no, I think they like that they can look at Carter while we ride. He entertains them and tells me when they're sleeping and who's crying.

Won't their legs be bunched up and uncomfortable? From reading off of other websites, this doesn't seem to bother kids. I mean, look at the crazy ways your kid sleeps in their crib or bed...I doubt that bending their knees will be a big issue. In Sweden, kids stay rear-facing until they are 5!

Okay, really those are the only questions people have asked me so far, but feel free to ask away and if I don't know the answers, I'll send you to a website where you can look.

To safety! Cheers!

post signature

2 comments:

Shannon said...

300! Go girl! Hey thanks so much for the GREAT info. I think I'm gonna keep my little beans rear till 2 and maybe longer if they are still little dudes. Their carriers go to 30 pounds (I just don't lug the carrier's in and out anymore).

Thanks again Katie!

Matt Mac said...

So Carter will be in a 5 point harness until he is 11 years old? And the twins will probably break that barrier when they are 5.