Monday, June 23, 2008

Freaky Friday...

Well, Friday afternoon, around 3 p.m., I started feeling funny. I was having some mild contractions and felt a little sick to my stomach. At first it was no big deal, but the contractions didn't stop and I thought I'd better go ahead and call my doctor to see if she'd want to maybe hook me up to the fetal heart and contraction monitors just to make sure all was fine and that I wasn't in labor. So, it was the end of the day and the O.B.'s office was closing so I had to meet her at the hospital. They put me in a triage room and hooked me all up.
They checked my cervix and I was still 1 cm and 0% effaced, so no worries there. Fast-forward about 2 hours later and I was still feeling some contractions (some were pretty strong) so the doctor wanted to check me one more time and if I hadn't made any changes, they'd monitor me for an hour longer and then send me home. Well, I had changed...I was now 2 1/2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. YIKES! Doc decided to admit me to monitor everything overnight. Ugh.

Long story short, nothing happened overnight so they let me go at 8 a.m. They are saying that I could go another 2 or 3 weeks before "real" labor begins, but I have a hard time believing that, so I'm anticipating something happening this week. Who know, though!

After we left the hospital, Carl took me directly to Village Inn where I stuffed my face (since I hadn't eaten anything but popsicles and chicken broth since Noon the day before.) Not eating is sooooo the worst part about being in "fake" labor! And most of you know how I get when I'm hungry...it's not pretty!

Once we were home, we snapped into gear getting the house and ourselves for these babies to arrive. I think this was the wake-up call that we desperately needed!

My next doctor's appointment isn't until Friday with an ultrasound the Monday after. We'll see how it all goes from here!

4 comments:

Matt Mac said...

Hurry up and have the kids, gosh!!!

Anonymous said...

Hurry up little ones! Cute purse!

stacy, jeremy, audrey and hadleigh bullcoming said...

you're so cute- we can't wait!!!

Anonymous said...

That happened with my 2nd baby. I was having contractions for about a week and then the *real* thing happend.

You're beautiful, you're such a great trooper and you're a great mommy! I'll cross my fingers for you. :)