Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Twin Update

So, I haven't written about my last TWO doctor's appointments so I thought I'd bring everyone up to speed. First off, Carl and I went to Iowa City to the big hospital a week and a half ago to have a Level II Ultrasound. They were wanting to make sure each baby had their own amniotic sac. The good news is that they do. So there are two sacs and one placenta...and yes, that means they are identical. (I guess if there's only one sac it makes everything a lot more complicated and more high-risk.) The sonographer in Iowa City was amazing. She talked us through the whole thing and pointed out everything she was looking for, reassuring us all the way saying that things looked "perfect" and "beautiful." Baby A measured in at 1 lb, 5 oz and Baby B at 1 lb, 9 oz. So, as long as the different in their weight is lower than 20% our doctors stay happy. We have another growth ultrasound scheduled for May 12.

Yesterday, I went to my regular OB here in Davenport. I pressed her about having to deliver in the OR and she wouldn't budge on that one. UGH! She did say they could turn down the lights and I could play my music if I wanted to, so I guess that will have to do. Also, both of the boys are breech right now so I asked her when I should give up hopes that I'll be able to deliver naturally and she said not to worry until 32 or 34 weeks. I've started the Webster's Technique with my chiropractor so hopefully we can open things up and get one of those boys to flip. (Only one needs to be head-down to avoid an automatic c-section.)

I'm measuring at about 31 weeks even though I'm only 25, but my OB says that's normal when you're carrying multiples. So, yes, I am HUGE for how far along I am...in fact, I kind of want to lie to strangers when they ask how far along I am because I know they're expecting me to say that I'm due in June...so when I say August 2, they're a bit puzzled. I've still only gained 9 lbs, so I'm going well in that category and other than a little heartburn and pelvic pressure, I'm feeling really great. I'm staying pretty active with Carter-chasing him around at night and I don't plan to slow down until my body tells me I need to. This past week my body's been telling me to eat a large piece of chocolate cake every night...and since I always listen to my body...I've been eating that cake!!!

To all my mom friends:
If you think people asked stupid and annoying questions and made rude comments when you were pregnant, you don't even know the half of it unless you've been preggers with twins. Retarded stuff, let me tell you. Some things, I understand (but still annoying because I'm asked at least twice a day)...oh, do twins run in your family? I get that because people don't know a lot about twins unless they've experienced it first-hand. For the record...fraternal twins run in families...identical are just a freak of nature. Another annoying question: are you going to dress them alike? First of all, no...but who cares and why would you care? Just weird. Another one: so are you "happy" about having twins? Seriously, you're going to ask that? Of course I'm happy...it's a total blessing. (People are so negative.) Some rude comments: "Better you than me." and "Oh, twins, double trouble." and "How will you keep up with 3 under 18 months old?" Yes, I realize it will be a challenge, but Carl and I will handle it as best as we can-so lay off, negative people...can't you just be happy for us? Sorry, just had to rant. (And if any of you have said any of these things to me, don't worry, I've forgiven you because we're friends/family and I love you...but strangers should not be asking these things or making these comments...)

Okay, this was really long so I'll close. Next doc appointment is on May 6 so I'll keep you posted.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the updates :) Keep them coming. I'm glad you are all happy & healthy. Sorry about asking about the twin thing in the family...I didn't know...I promise! But I see you have already forgiven me :) I know, people are so weird when it comes to pregancy. Miss you guys tons & I hope we can make a trip out there. Much Aloha...

Anonymous said...

I am laughing my butt off! I love you Katie!!!

Jeff and Brenna Morgan said...

I totally don't think you look that big, especially for having twins. The whole month of April people were asking me if I was due any day now! I'm only having one & was measuring 5 weeks ahead at one point. I'm pretty sure that means I'm too big....and not that he is.

I'm glad you're feeling great! I can hardly keep up with Sydney these days.