Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Doc Appointment at 37 1/2 Weeks

Saw my doctor this morning (yes, my actual doctor, not one of the others in "the group"). I'm measuring right on, my blood pressure is good and the baby's heartrate was strong and healthy.

NEWS FLASH: I've officially gained 30 lbs. Agh! I totally lost the bet so no new handbag for me...but I have a feeling after labor, Carl will feel especially sorry for me/in love with me and I'll have a good chance of getting a new one anyway! We'll have to wait and see.

So the big news is this: I'm 50% effaced and 1 to 1 1/2 centimeters dialated so the pre-labor stuff has begun. I asked my doctor if I would be able to feel dialation and effacement and she said no. I told her that I was feeling pressure "down there" but she assured me that that was just from the baby's head dropping lower and lower and not my cervix moving. Ugh. I thought I was just really in tune with my body...guess not.

Also, Dr. Aronson told me that my "pubic something" angle was a bit lower than what they hope for (they like it to be over 90 degrees and mine is 80-85 degrees) but she doesn't think it will be a huge deal because she thinks my little man is on the smaller side and won't be over 7 lbs. We'll have to see. I hope I'm wide enough because I really don't want a c-section, but it's out of my hands so I'm trying not to worry about it.

Lastly, I asked her when she wanted me to call her and go to the hospital. She said that when the contractions are 5 minutes apart for one hour to call/come in. Of course, if my water breaks, I'm supposed to go in right away.

Can you believe we're getting this close??? I think I'm in total shock...I know Carl is. I'm feeling all sorts of emotions: nervous, excited, afraid, confident...everything. The house is ready for the baby...his room looks fantastic! I'll post some pictures of that soon. My hospital bag is partially packed and I'm making a list of things I don't want to forget. So, we're pretty prepared. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers!

No comments: