Carl joked with the sonographer as we walked in to the room about me being so big that he was sure we were having twins. I had no sooner lifted my shirt and there they were on the screen, plain as day. Carl was holding Carter and they started jumping up and down (Carter smiled because he didn't know what was going on, just that he was being bounced.) Both Carl and I were crying and I began sweating and feeling very sick. I'm thinking it was a little anxiety attack. We stopped the ultrasound and I got some water. Carl talked to me and calmed me down, assuring me that I was such a great mom to Carter that I will be a doubly-great mom to the twins. (Isn't he sweet?) So, with that, the ultrasound was back on and although the sonographer didn't get all the pictures and measurements she needed, she was happy with what she did get. I'll be going back in four weeks for another ultrasound with my appointment.
Once we saw the doctor, she informed us that she thought the boys were going to be identical, but couldn't be sure until we did the next ultrasound. The sonographer saw only one placenta. So, to answer some questions-no, twins don't run in our family, but identical twins don't run in families...they are a total fluke. My egg just decided to split and form two babies! Crazy, huh?
The boys are about the same size (which is great news). One measured 20 weeks, 3 days and the the other 20 weeks. The heartbeats were really close at 144 and 142 so that was good news as well.
I'm supposed to take things a little easier this time around and will probably deliver before my due date, but we'll just have to see how it all works out. A lot can change from now until August 2 (my original due date.) I've still only gained 2 lbs, but will be working on packing in the protein and dairy from now on and hope to help those babies grow big and strong, not to mention help my placenta grow strong!
Carl and I couldn't be happier. We are shocked, but thrilled. Carter is going to make such a great big brother to these little peanuts-I just know it!
Enjoy the ultrasound pictures below. (And on a sidenote, this is my 200th blog post! Shouldn't I get some sort of prize for that...like some diapers or a free crib or something?)
First picture: the tops of their little heads

Second picture: Baby A looking straight at you, with his little hand up

Third picture: Baby A's boy parts

Fourth picture: Baby B looking at you

Fifth picture: Baby B's boy parts

So, there you have it...bring on the comments!!!
17 comments:
you're going to be one busy mama!!! congrats -- what a fun surprise!
I can't wait!! I get a big smile on my face everytime I think of you having twins! I love you guys! So great to see you this weekend:-)
Fish
Congrats Hoyt family! We're so excited for you.
Love,
The Rays
Holy Excited!!! This is just too much fun...I could not stop thinking about you guys all weekend! I hope you are feeling good Katie! And Carl...take good care of her and those two boys!
Love all 5 of you...mean it!
~robyn
Ahhh!! Congratulations! This is so exciting! I just knew it was twins, I had a feeling. Don't be scared; I know you have a great support team. Congratulations again, Hoyt family!
Are you going to tell us names this time?
The Barwicks
Congratulations! That is such exciting news!
Kristy
p.s. I miss you guys. I need to visit the QCA sometime soon.
Wow! That's so exciting!! Holy Cow! I got goose bumps when I was reading your post.
So exciting for you all.
-Lelo
Congratulations again! This makes me wish even more that we lived closer so that AJ would have a bunch of little boy buddies/cousins to wreck havoc with (we are surrounded by girls). We will have to look into visiting you sometime. Take good care of yourself! I love you!
Lisa
Congratulations on your exciting news. You are going to be a wonderful mommy of three. Will Carter be about 18 months when the twins are born? I am so excited for you!
Mandy Olmstead
Katie it was great to hear from you this weekend and to hear the exciting news. TWINS!!! I have been thinking of you and I know that you are a great Mom and this is why you have of been picked to raise twin boys. Congrats to you all!
Katie, there was no voting button on your blog that said TWINS. Don't know whether to jump up and down or cry for you. Wish we were closer...road trips to Iowa in August or Sept. Hey, my friend with 3 boys has the license plate BOYZ R US. Love Auth Ruth
Hello Hoyt family!
I ran across your blog several months ago by clicking on links on other friends' blogs and I have enjoyed reading about Carter.
I have abstained from commenting for fear there might be a wonder of "why is she reading our blog??" but I can't help it - I have to comment now that twins are on the way!
All that explanation just to say: Congrats!
-Holly Hettinger (formerly Bidney) Graceland 99-03
Well since I can not seem to get a hold of you in person I will just leave a message of congratulations to you! It is truely unbelievable but believeable because I see the pictures.
I am so happy for you and just wish the whole fam all lived closer so we could help as well as watch them grow up. How fun! Landon and I may not be parents yet but we make darn good babysitters. Well give me a call when you get some time as I imagine come August you will not have much of that!!! Two Congrats for two new little boys!
Love you and miss you!
XOXOXOX
Nicole
congrats large Hoyt family
My favorite thing about the ultrasounds is the marking of the boy parts with an arrow. I think that is hilarious, not that there is anything wrong with that, right? Anyways congrats again.
Witko
Hi Katie! I am a secret fan of your baby blog. I think I told Matt once and mentioned how helpful all your info. will be for the future Bendorf family:).
I am so happy for you guys! Twins will definitely keep you on your toes but will also be double the fun. You are so blessed! How exciting!!
Sara
You've got "The Suite Life of Zach & Cody" in your belly! You totally have to start watching more Disney Channel now. Bella thinks those two boys are her boyfriends. I'd rather she go for your twins instead, since I don't approve of her dating older men yet.
Bill and Bella and I are very excited for you guys, and we can't wait to meet them. It was so cool getting to see them on the video. They're so busy already!
Congrats, little mama x 3!
Minda
Congrats Katie, you are so blessed!
I'm glad you are all doing well. I'll keep all of you in my prayers. :)
Abby
Post a Comment